Sunday, March 06, 2005

Dobre Dyen Ukraine!

So I have finally arrived in Ukraine! On the 1st, we landed at Borispyl airport which looked like it had just stepped out of the 1970's, in fact most things here look like they just stepped out of the 1970's. Then myself and the other PCT's (peace corps trainees) were wisked away to a former soviet spa for training. The room was basic but provided all of the necessary essentials. On the 4th, we left our little cocoon and moved in with our host families for training. I will be in training untill the end of May. I live in a small town called Kalynivka. It's just southwest of Kiev if you want to look at it on the map. I've learned that you shouldn't necessarily judge something by how it looks on the outside. The apartment building that my family lives in looks a little rundown on the outside but inside their apartment is beautiful. Like everything in this country that I've seen, it just needs a good power washing. Pavel and Looda, my host parents, work in Kiev as an engineer and an accountant respectively. I also have a 19 year old sister (just like at home) Olya who is a student at a University in Kiev as well. The people here seem a bit cold and impersonably at first but once you say hello they are very warm and hospitable. I'm learning russian as is everyone in my cluster (the 4 other PCT's that live in Kalynivka) and my russian is poor at it's best. Oksana, my teacher is very patient and she is having a party for out cluster and our host families this afternoon. I think I'm adjusting well to the new culture though. Besides the language barrier, I really do like the experience so far. I've made some great friends at training and I feel like I have a strong support circle here. I'll keep posting (most likely on sundays). I love you all and miss you as well!

1 Comments:

Blogger clare said...

Meg,

Glad to hear you're doing so well! How is the food over there? Do you have a good Ukranian cook at your house?

You've been in my thoughts and prayers.

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home