Sunday, March 20, 2005

Bez майинез и кетчуп (Without Mayonaise or Ketchup)

So another week down... wow the time is flying by. I have come to a conclucion... that Ketchup and mayonaise were created in the Soviet Union and are the national foods of Ukraine!!! They put it on everything.... Every where I go I have to say without ketchup or mayonaise. It's on Pizza ( which instead of tomato sauce they use tomato flavored mayonaise...), vegetables, cabbage, potatoes and it compliments all meals... breakfast lunch and dinner! Just a funny quirk that i'm getting used too...

We are in Kyiv today at the Peace Corps office and what I've seen of this city it is beautiful.... Like everything here it is such a dichotomy... Gorgeous eurpean style architecture mixed with the severe blandness of soviet bloc style. Amazing stuff really!!! I'm excited to finally be here because it is only a short bus trip from my house... by short they mean 45 minutes-1 hour. Nothing moves fast here... Well actually that is not true... the one thing that does work very fast here is the rumor mill! Apparently Ukrainians are notorious for being big gossips. Something that I'm having a hard time getting used to. And recently, because we are the most exciting recent addition to our little town of Kalynivka, a few members of my group are finding that out first hand. I've been doing my best to stay clear but just by being an american I'm clumped in with the guilty by association category... nothing malicious just bored housewives chatting on the phone and stretching the truth. It can be quite humorous at times!!! Well I'm signing off cause I gotta let another lonely PCV on the computer!!! I love you all and thanks for reading.... feel free to leave a comment!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home