Monday, September 05, 2005

The Ukrainian Ice Cream Man

Howdy friends and family!!! Fall has arrived in beautiful Eastern Ukraine, the temperature has dropped and the school year has started! Oh and in other exciting news.... I have my own house now!!! YAY!!! I have officially ended my probationary 6 months under the scrutinizing eye of a ukrainian mama and have finally flown the coup. It was a week long process but saturday night was my first official night at the new house. My host mom is afraid that I will starve and die or perhaps a wild gang of rabid chickens will attack but I've assured her that none of these things will happen. And it's not like I'm moving far away... I'm only an 8 minute walk from her house so she can monitor my health status. Actually, the move was a bit bitter sweet... I was excited to have a place of my very own were I didn't feel like a guest but I miss my home with Mama Galina and Papa Ivan. They were amazing host parents and I couldn't have been more blessed with a wonderful family. However I work at the same school as them and see them every day... so I think our relationship will continue to grow.
The school year has started... That's right I now officially have a job and am trying to chisel out a place for myself in the complicated process of the Ukrainian school scheduling process. I tought my first class today... It went better than expected considering I have to teach in Russian. Luckily, I have a young ukrainian teacher Svetlana Nikolaiovna who sits in with me to help when needed but she too doesn't speak English. I anticipated complete anarchy but there was no mutiny and the troops got in line pretty quickly. We even had a few smiles. All in all, a big accomplishment!
Finally, I have encountered the Ukrainian version of the Ice Cream Man... though he sells some thing else instead of ice cream, however I would imagine that an ice cream man business would be incredibly profitable cuz Ukrainains love their Ice cream... The Ukrainian version sells chickens! And not killed and barbequed chickens but live breathing chickens in a coup on top of his Lada (russian make that hasen't changed its body style in over 30 years). He has a bullhorn in which he tells the houses lining the streets that he drives fresh, Live Healthy chickens. He has done this every evening for over a week and a half. At first, I didn't realize what was going on... but now the actual humor of the scenario makes me chuckle everytime I hear him bellowing on his bullhorn 'Fresh, Live, Healthy Chickens' driving slowly so not to miss a possible sale.
This country never ceases to provide entertainment in the most unusual forms.... Take care you guys and God Bless. I'll see you all at Christmas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home