Saturday, June 25, 2005

Blame the Strawberries for everything

So this has been one crazy week! On Sunday, I went into Donetsk (a very large city) to meet the other volunteers in the area at a pot luck dinner that one was hosting... Everything was going great!!! I arrived a bit early to help with the setup and all... and I was really enjoying myself. Well about halfway through dinner at 7:45 I start breaking out into hives and by 8 2/3s of my body is just infested with these hives that look like I have shingles. So I go to the hospital after contacting the PC Med office and have to get an IV and some drugs to stop the reaction. I end up spending the night because It was taking a really long time to work and luckily another volunteer stayed with me. The next day Dr. Sasha arrives at noon and we head back to Kyiv on a 7 hour trip (and we were flying). So I've been in the medical office all week doing tests and monitoring the hives. It wasn't until Thursday that they really started to disappear. SO normally I would head back to home after but I have to take an overnight train to a training that starts Monday morning and the train back to the Novo-E would be overnight. So I'd get home... spend a night... and then hop on a train and what's the point to that! SO I'm in Kiev for the weekend. I've done some great exploring of the city and have enjoyed walking around and seeing all the PCV's. Although I think my host mom thinks that I'm dead and never returning home... It's been quite the week and I'm ready to get back... I thought I would never say this as a Peace Corps volunteer and might shoot myself later for it but... I mean there are only so many times that you can check your email and see who is online! I shouldn't be complaining though. I love Kyiv and it's a great city though It's a bit pricey... Take care folks and don't worry... I received great medical care and I'm cured... We think it had something to do with the strawberries....

1 Comments:

Blogger Meg McGinty said...

Ukrianian strawberries have been radiated. Chernobyl fallout...mmm..tasty!

this is actually not Meg posting to herself making her look more popular...it's her friend Tom. Also from upstate New York :)
Hudson Falls, to be exact.
currently PCV W/ Meg-a-byte too many bad strawberries.

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home